Sunday, May 27, 2012

Every day above ground is a good day and a chance to meet new friends...

Usually on one's birthday it is a good idea to reflect... Since this was my first birthday in Panama and being retired I considered it multi-tasking. Haven't had to multi-task much since we moved here...
Yesterday I turned 67 years old and today I do not feel any different. I am gratefull to be alive and healthy. My parents both died at what I call an early age, my birth father @ 48 and my mother @ 62...
My husband surprised me with gifts and dinner out @ a local Panamanian Resturant that I had been wanting to go to. We had Covina (Sea Bass) with lots of great spices, along with beans and rice. I love their spices down here, very flavorfull but not hot. Also a banana that had what Mike thought was a creole sause covering it...
My children , grandchildren and friends all called and sang the birthday song to me.  My friends and family posted "Happy Birthday" on Facebook, I am blessed and loved...
At dinner last night Mike asked me  "Well we have been here a couple of months,What  do you think so far?" My gut and my heart said  "Yes, I am happy here."
A year ago we decided we were going to move here in April 2012. I was scared to death and couldn't wait. After all the work we did to get here it was worth it. To get me to retire Mike knew he had to get me out of town and away from work.  Why?  Because I have always loved my job and I thought it defined me.  Not so, a new and improved Sandy is emerging slowly in Panama...
I did not have my peeps, circle of friends or family around me when we moved here. I have met a few friends and I am starting to do things on my own.  Last thursday they had a ladies night at Ty's Sports Bar and Grille, all drinks were half price.  Mike was in Panama City @ a bike store and was delayed coming home. I was uncomfortable, but I walked uptown and walked into Ty's by myself.  There were only a few ladies there and I had met one of them. She remembered me and intoduced me to a couple of other ladies who I chatted with while I had my 1 margarita that cost me $2.50...
After about an hour Mike appeared and we went to dinner... When the dry season is here they have lots of social things to do. I have been told that Spanish School , Water Exercise Classes, etc starts in December  and goes thru April. So I missed out this year...
I have started my spanish tapes and this coming Sunday is Ty's Sunday Brunch for all locals.  He always has a wide variety of food to choice from. That is another social gathering to meet people...
So life is good and I am looking forward to the next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment