Thursday, May 24, 2012

May is Bug Month

We are sharing our house with bugs. I thought it was something we were doing wrong. We moved our 3 trash cans (recycle,trash and food) from the kitchen outside to our breezeway and then to the patio area to avoid flies. The flying ants have also doubled, no matter how I cleaned and how often..... they keep on coming. We have tried bug spray, ant traps and we are still looking for old fashion fly paper...Last weekend I bought a plastic fly swatter for 50 cents and by yesterday morning it was broken. It was all I could find in El Valle. We went to Coronado yesterday and bought 2 better ones and now we are both armed and ready...
We found out last night having drinks with our neighbors that every May the bugs appear. Thank God !!!!! So it is not anything we are doing wrong, it is just nature... As fast as they appeared in May they will disappear in June. Not all of them, I expected to live with bugs and I am getting better. I don't always jump when one lands on me now, I just flick it off and move on.
One thing we have noticed here in Panama, there doesn't appear to be any panamanians with white hair.  We see lots of older people (even older than me), and sometimes you will see a few gray hairs but that is it. There is alot of hair dye on the shelves and they are all dark brown or black, so somebody is buying it.  But you cannot tell by looking at the older people, they are either very good at coloring their hair or it is natural. I believe it is natural....We have seen a few islanders with white hair and of course the ex-pats that live here....
People ask me if I can feel a difference in our stress levels, and the answer is YES...The most stress for me was the container last week and that was because I couldn' t do anything to help Mike while he was in Panama City. I think it was a "woman thing".
In the last few weeks we have had the faucet in the kitchen sink go out, (which was fixed the same day) the refrigerator stopped working, (which took a few days) and last night we had no hot water or gas for the stove. They came and replaced the propane this morning. But no stress, we got two coolers and kept the refrig. stuff cold and the stuff from the freezer went next door to our neighbors. I am learning about MANANA here in Panama........

No comments:

Post a Comment