Friday, June 1, 2012

Adventures come in many forms

     Today is Friday and the living is easy...but not entirely uneventful.  Last Wednesday I went to Panama City with my friend, "N"....to go to the bicycle shop, and to check out a truck for me.  "N" is a cyclist and needed some work done on his bike.  First we went to the Kia dealer in the city and I found what I wanted in short order.  It's a double cab Kia diesel that isn't sporty looking, but is really roomy and practical.  I put a deposit on it to hold the deal and now I'm waiting for the wire transfer and the arrival of the money.  Things went a little differently for "N".  Last week he had a cable break in his derailer shifter and a small broken part was clogging the mechanism.  Let me point out that "N" has over $8,000 invested in his bike, and he rides five days a week, and the down time was giving him fits. When the mechanic told him that the work would take a vary long time..."many tiny parts"  we asked what a replacement would cost...and that's where the fun began.  We asked about the cost of the new shifter,(it's built into the brake handle and ,of course, nothing less than the best would do) and we thought he said it was seventy-something dollars, so the replacedment was done.  Stupid Gringos! When it came time to pay the bill, we found out that the parts were seven hundred dollars!  It's a good thing I had some plastic on hand or "N" would still be walking....anyway, all ended well and my friend is racking up the miles again, and my money transfer should be done soon and I'll have some wheels.  That means we'll be surfing soon and travelling around this beautiful country in search of more Excellent Adventures.  On a geography note, I'll be posting a couple of maps soon to let you all know just where El Valle is and a few more tidbits about our new home.  Much to do in the coming weeks.  I'll be getting a new car, I have to get my Panamanian driver's license, and on August 1st we'll be moving into a big house on a quiet street... but not before a quick dash back to the States for the 4th of July!   So, adios for now, hasta lluego, from Mike and Sandy's Excellent Adventures in Panama.  

No comments:

Post a Comment